Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Juice fast day - pickle juice?? Really???

So today is the one day a week that John and I do our juice fast.  He made our drinks last night and had them in the fridge for us to grab and go to work this morning.  The morning juice was ok. He put a grapefruit in it which I'm not a huge grapefruit juice fan.  It's just a little too tart for me.  It was drinkable at least.  But let's back up a bit to this morning.  I leave before anyone else is even out of bed so I went to the fridge to find that my two bottles of juice were in the fridge.  Both looked orange in color.  I couldn't figure out what he used that would have been orange since we're out of carrots.  But I threw them in my lunch bag and walked out the door.  Afraid of tasting either of them I texted John to asked which one was breakfast and which was mid-morning.  He didn't respond for a while after my initial text but as I was hungry I realized that I was going to have to taste each of them.  I took a sip of the first one and got the grapefruit taste but still wasn't sure if it was the morning juice.  So I opened the second one...took a sip...GROSS!!!  I knew this was the mid-morning right away.  I couldn't put my finger on the taste though.  Then I got a text from John.  He said, "the one that tastes like pickles is the mid-morning juice."  Duh.  Already tasted it.

Morning Juice
Since I had a brief sip of the pickle juice I decided that the grapefruit juice wasn't that terrible.  It had some chunky things in it which always grosses me out.  I hate pulp in my juice and when there's chunks (even if it's an apple chunk) it makes it harder to drink.  It sort of reminds me of drinking vomit.  Sorry for being so explicit but maybe now you can understand why it grosses me out so much.


Mid-Morning Juice
I was getting hungry but I knew what I was going to have to drink in order to not be hungry.  I was seriously opting for hunger!  Just so everyone is clear, I LOVE pickles.  Right out of the jar.  On a hamburger.  In tuna or potato salad.  You can pretty much put a pickle in most anything and I'll eat it.  But drinking a pickle is nasty!  It was another one of those 'close your eyes, hold your breath, and chug' drinks!  Bl eh!! It was waaay too salty.  I am absolutely thrilled that he made the juices last night for us so I wouldn't have to wake up extra early to make them.  And I'm also thrilled that he's getting gutsy in the kitchen and experimenting with new flavors.  But this one was an epic fail.  I was only able to choke down half of the drink (which was still about 10 oz's!).  Went and got a salad for lunch.

Food Snobs
The more and more John and I get into all of this Paleo/Primal lifestyle stuff the more and more we are turning into food snobs.  Let's give you all an example: last week we traveled by bus to and from Myrtle Beach from Maryland.  The 'lunch stop' was at this placed called South of the Border.  This place is a run down dive.  It sorta feels like being in Mexico with a red-neck twist.  There was one lunch option.  It was a place that served burgers, hot dogs, burritos and tacos.  Oh...and chili!  I ordered a bun less burger.  They didn't have lettuce, tomatoes, guacamole or even salsa (I thought this was a Mexican joint??).  So here's what I got: a small 2 oz disc shaped piece of gray matter covered in melted processed cheese, a squirt of mustard and about 5 onion pieces.  GROSS!!!!  John ordered the chili.  He had about two bites and he threw it away.  None of it had anything 'real' in it.  Ground beef shouldn't be a pale gray color!  Another example was at our hotel.  Part of our hotel package was the free breakfast buffet.  Everyday it consisted of the same items: flavored yogurts, canned peaches, pale orange cantaloupe, dried out country fries, super greasy sausage links, baby soft yellow scrambled eggs, bacon, grits, and french toast with syrup that I'm sure was pure high fructose corn syrup.  John and I ate eggs and bacon every day but in total disgust. We are so used to our free range chicken eggs fresh from the farm that are bright orange when you crack them open.  These pale eggs were lifeless and unsatisfying.  The sausage link actually burst a shot of grease in our mouths when we bit into it.  YUCK!!  We love our fresh breakfast sausage we get from Polyface Farms that is so lean and delicious that we actually have to add coconut oil to the pan to cook them!!    So as we move more and more toward buying local, buying fresh and in season, the harder and harder it is to travel and be too far from home.  At least on a bus full of people.  Had we our own car we could have tried seeking out restaurants that served local produce and meats.  But we were limited.  Don't even get me started on the cafeteria style place we stopped for dinner one night.  Carbs, carbs, carbs.

Cooking more, eating out less


Dinner
We had an awesome dinner last night.  We grilled two portabello mushroom caps (drizzled with EVOO, salt and pepper) and two bison burgers.  Put burgers on top of mushroom cap, topped with guacamole and salsa (that I had freshly made) and romaine lettuce.  YUM!! 

2 comments:

  1. Joni, this was a funny (BUT TRUE) article. I want to add that I did not think the carrots, squash, cucumbers and left-over pickle juice was horrible. It wasn't great but it was--ok...I guess??

    ReplyDelete